Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dominique Barber Interview

Dom Barber

We would just like to thank Mr. Barber for taking the time out of his busy schedule to grant us a great NFL Player interview, he is the definition of class and we wish him the best!
DP – Is there a reason behind your #34?
DB – No reason behind the number 34, there were a couple of numbers to choose from and 34 was the best out of the bunch. 23 was my number in college and high school, but it was taken. So 34 it was, and it’s a special number here in Houston, a lot of greats have worn this number so I def wear it with pride.
DP – Both your dad and brother played running back, what made you play defense?
DB – When I was a Freshman in college, there were plenty of running backs, (Marion, Laurence Maroney, Gary Russel) all who are in the NFL or played. I wanted to play right now, so the coaches found me a place at safety. Ever since then I’ve just went with it. Love that I did that.



DP –  How will you prepare yourself for the potential lockout season?
DB – I’m going to look at it as if we are still going to have a season next year. What can happen is everyone saying its going to happen its going to happen, and in your head your thinking well if it happens lets take an extra vacation. You can’t think like that, and I refuse to let myself think that way. So the way I’m preparing is as if we report for off season workouts in April just like last year. So regardless I’ll be ready.
DP – What has been your greatest accomplishment so far being a professional football player?
DB – Just the Blessing itself of being in the NFL. Being able to run out of the tunnel every Sunday is every kids dream who plays football. You know I run into people all the time, and they talk about how they use to play whatever position back in the day and they tell me how lucky I am. I don’t think its like, I have been blessed to play the best sport in the world. I started playing football in 5th grade, and my goal was to be in the NFL. Not many people can say that, and I take that blessing and run.
DP – In your opinion, what is the biggest difference from college football to professional football?
DB – Speed, and power of every player. Everyone in the NFL is athletic, fast, and smart, so you have to compete everyday otherwise they will find someone who is better. Because of this, I take practice as if its a game, because at the end of the day you never know what could happen. Football could be here today and gone tomorrow. Also have to be mentally tough, coaches will try to break you that’s what they are supposed to do, so if you can’t take the critics or coaching, you won’t last long in the NFL.
DP – Coach Gary Kubiak called you the team’s most-productive special teamer this season. What does this mean to you?
DB – Means the world to me, it makes me want to work harder to be even better.  You know not everyone wants to play special teams. Some people think that they should just be a starter on offense or on defense. Some people are fortune enough for that to happen. But I’ve always played (special)teams, ever since I was in high school. You have to love it, you run down the field full speed with another guy running at you full speed and you either have to tackle that guy or block him running full speed. They may be 40 pounds heavier they may not. You have to have a go out there with a clear head and just tell yourself be 1-0 on this play. And that’s what I do. My goal is to be a starter in this league, but at the same time I will always play special teams. ALWAYS. I take pride in that, serious pride.
DP – You injured your knee during practice last season, what went through your mind when this happened and what rehab have you completed?
DB – It was tough, I knew that I would be out for a good chunk of the season and that hurts. You know it hurts to not be able to be out there to help your team. Knowing that people expect you to be out there playing and making plays on special teams or on defense. My teammates, coaches, and fans, all that goes through my head and it hurts. Makes me work even harder though, I know I let a lot of people down this past season, and I have some work to do next year. Rehab is going well, I’m starting to run now, able to put some weights on my legs.
DP – What have you improved on the most over your years as a professional?
DB – Just understanding the game, in all aspects. Studying film, doing the little things outside of being at the complex. If you aren’t learning something everyday then that’s on you. I try to pick out something to learn about that will help my game and improve my skills. That’s what I try to improve on more, learning from others and growing inside and outside of the game.
DP – What is something you still need to improve on and plan on improving on this off season?
DB – I  need to work on my knee first off, have to get that back to 100 percent. Then I want to work on all my game. Just try to improve on my game everyday.
DP – Do you ever get back to any Gopher games? Are you glad the Wayzata Trojans won the state championship this year?
DB – I try very hard, I rep my schools still to this day. Always wearing maroon and gold, even though we weren’t the best this year I still supported them and always will. Coach Brew was a great coach and wonderful guy, I wish him the best. As for the new Coach, I’m excited to see what Coach Kill brings to Minnesota. As far as my Trojans, so happy they won the state title. I keep in touch with Coach Lombo, and Coach Rj I’m very happy they won. Congrats again fellas.
DP – What kind of work will you be putting in during the off season?
DB – I try to improve my golf game, lol I guess everyone is trying to improve their golf game. So once my knee is cleared I will be sure to get out there and hit the links. I’ll do that for a while as I let me mind clear before I get back to football. I’ll go back home to Minnesota and see my family. I have a little brother who is 13, so I like watching him play his sports, but yeah other than that, I’ll just be getting ready for football.
DP –  How often do you talk to your brother, Marion Barber?
DB – My brother in I talk every day, the relationship we have is something special. He’s the one that I look up to, I try to carry myself very similar to him. He’s extremely important to me, and I am blessed to have him as a role model.


Interview courtesy of:

No comments:

Post a Comment