Saturday, January 15, 2011

MarQueis Gray Interview

Golden Gopher Star MarQueis Gray (5)

We would just like to thank MarQueis for answering our questions. We wish him the best next season in Minnesota and in his future endeavors.
MM-When you made the switch to wide receiver this season, how long did it take for you to get all of the routes down, or did you have most of them memorized from your time studying the playbook as a QB?
MG-Yes, It was very easy to remember the routes because last year we ran a numbers offense which means a certain number told a WR what route he had to run so that was really easy. The hardest thing was keeping the wind in me because I wasn’t use to all that running but i got the hang of it at the end of the season, haha!
MM-What Big 10 game do you look forward to the most every year?
MG-I look forward to playing all of the trophy games because those are the games that mean the most to us.

MM-Almost all athletes that get to choose a number choose one with some meaning for them. Is there any reasoning behind you choosing #5?
MG-Actually I was given #5 because (Adam)Weber had #8 which was my number in high school.
MM-Are you a gamer? PS3 or 360? Madden or NCAA?
MG-I play PS3 and I play NCAA until Madden comes out, but I still play both  off and on.  My gamer tag is Amazingqb5 for anyone who wants to get beat!
MM-When was the first time you played football?
MG-I first started playing at the age of 6 but (I) soon got kicked off my team because the league age to play was 7, so I had to wait a whole extra year.
MM-Many players, from Pop-Warner to the NFL have pre-game rituals, do you have anything that you make sure you do or a certain type of music you listen to before the game?MG-Before games and in pregame warm ups I listen to hip hop just to get to hyped, but before we head to the field for the game I start to listen to soft r&b music just to calm my nerves and get mentally prepared for what I have to do. I also always have to chew some gum..any kind!
MM-If you could play defense, where would you see yourself playing and why?
MG-If I had the chance to play defense I would play in the secondary at safety because they are the last line of defense and I could make all the INT’s if the team likes to go deep.
MM-When you find yourself with a lot of free-time on campus, what are your favorite spots to go to?
MG-Whenever I have some free time I’m in my apartment sleeping, relaxing or hanging out with teammates if all of my school work is complete. If not, I’d spend my free time in study hall doing work.
MM-As a highly touted recruit out of Ben Davis High School, which schools were recruiting you the most, and what ultimately went into your decision for choosing Minnesota?MG-My senior year in high school my top three schools were Minnesota, Michigan St. and Oregon. I wanted to pick the school that had a great city, coaching staff and school with a great academic program. So that’s why I’m here in the Twin Cities. I didn’t take any other visits besides here because I knew this was going to be my home during my visit.
MM-As a very mobile and athletic QB, do you see yourself as a pass first type QB or an option QB?
MG-Yes, I do [pass first]. I only really like to run the ball when its called in the huddle, any other time I’m looking to sling it!
MM-For the 2011 Season, what is the one thing you are working to improve on the most?MG-I am looking forward to improving my skills as an complete Quarterback, not only throwing the ball but also preparing for my opponents.



Interview courtesy of Sports News Nightly 

No comments:

Post a Comment