Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gopher's Keanon Cooper on Success

There are a wide variety of teams in society; sports teams, work teams, debate teams, etc. There are many key qualities that are essential in the development of a successful team; including things like (but not limited to): teamwork, communication, sportsmanship, ethics, trust, inclusion, commitment, goals, responsibility, accountability, vision, etc.

SNN (sportsnewsnightly) is interviewing athletes, coaches, and staff ask the following three questions about creating a successful team. Here is our interview with Keanon Cooper.


What do you think are the 5 most important qualities in creating a successful team?
Cooper: Trust, accountability, communication, respect, and commitment
How would you define those qualities in your own words?
Cooper: Trust – knowing that the person next to you is going to hold up their responsibilities. Accountability – doing your assignment or fulfilling your role knowing that there are others that are depending on you. Communication – talking and being on the same page with your teammates. Chemistry – everyone accepting their roles. Commitment – buying in to accomplishing the overall goal.

Can you give a specific example of how you have exemplified each quality in a previous experience?
Cooper: Trust - When teammates have asked me for a favor I’ve tried my best to deliver, and more time than not I have.
Accountability – I always show up to meetings, class, etc on time. I’ve never been in any serious trouble. So, my teammates know I’m someone they can count on.
Communication – On the field I have to communicate with the secondary and D-line so everyone is on the same page. Off the field, when I go out with teammates if I choose to leave I let them know where I’m going so if something happens they know where I was headed.
Chemistry – My freshman year I accepted my role as a back-up to Nate Triplett, but made the most of my opportunities when put in the game.
Commitment – I’ve been playing football for a long time and plan to play longer. When I show up for football-related functions I give it my all in hope of accomplishing what all of us want to do, and that is win.

Article courtesy of

No comments:

Post a Comment