Monday, February 7, 2011

Adam Weber Interview



Weber is a former quarterback from the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.  Playing 4 full seasons, Adam holds the record for touchdown passes in Gopher history, and is second in Big Ten history in passing yards.


What do you think of the new Gopher Coach, Coach Jerry Kill?
AW - Coach Kill comes in with a winning program, he has proven it at every school he has been at.  I believe his style and system will fit our program and its players well.

How are you preparing yourself for the NFL combine?
AW - I have been training with Pete Bommarito Performance Systems (BPS) in Miami, FL since Jan 3rd.  It is an intense training program that is working on increasing speed and strength.  There are about 35 other football players down here from all over the country.  We train 6 days a week 6:30am-4:30pm


What was your greatest memory as a Golden Gopher?
AW - Beating Iowa to win our first trophy game in 4 years to cap off our season is a special memory I will cherish for the rest of my life.  But What I will miss the most is the relationships I made with coaches and players over my 5 years at the University of Minnesota.  So many great people I was fortunate to call friends, we became brothers and shared so many great experiences together.

You have the 2nd most passing yards in Big Ten history, what does this mean to you?
AW - I am very proud of this record, I was lucky to start for the last 4 years and remain healthy enough to put up those career numbers.  I owe everything to my teammates, without them none of those records would have happened.   Also need to thank Coach Brewster who gave me the opportunity to start for the Gophers.  I will always be able to look back proudly at what we were able to accomplish regardless of our team record.

What was your favorite thing about TCF Bank Stadium?
AW - TCF Bank Stadium is one of the greatest stadiums in the country.  It is a special place that is 100% Minnesotan, from the gigantic locker room to the maroon seats. Minnesota fans can take a lot of pride in their home stadium.


As a highly touted recruit and Wisconsin putting on the full-court press, why did you choose Minnesota?
AW - When I started getting recruited I made a point to look at every school equally and fairly.  This wasn't easy because I grew up a huge Gopher fan.  By my Junior year I got my choices down to 2 schools, Minnesota and Wisconsin.  It was hard to made a choice because of the relationships you make with the coaches and players but when it came time to make a choice Minnesota was too hard to turn down.  I fell in love with the campus and could see myself there for the next 5 years regardless of football.

In the 4 years that you started for the Gophers, what would you say was the biggest "low" of your career?
AW - Football is filled with many highs and many lows. As I look back there are many games I wish I could have back, I try not to think "what if" but the idea does creep into my head every once and a while.  But I would say the biggest low was the way my final season went.  You dream about your senior year and all the possibilities it may hold.  Losing 9 games in a row took its toll on everyone but we kept on fighting and were able to finish strong.  But those 9 weeks were tough and disappointing.

With almost as many offensive coordinators as seasons played, what was the biggest adjustment you had to make?
AW - The initial adjustment from high school to college is a big jump especially for a QB but the hardest jump was going from a power team (Mason) to a spread team (Brewster/Dunbar).  These two offenses were night and day from one another, from formations to plays and how defensives play you.

When you were not on the field, what was your favorite spot to go to on campus?
AW - I had a great time at my college house which we called "The Colosseum".  I spent 2 and half years there and had some of my greatest college memories there.

If you had to give any advice to MarQueis Gray going into his 1st year as a starting QB, what would you say?
AW - Marqueis is ready to go and I look forward to watching play.  There isn't much advice to give, much of what he will learn will come from experience and being in the moment.  He is a great competitor and athlete who will help the team win.

Eric Decker was a huge part of your success as a Golden Gopher, what did he do on the field that made him such a dynamic receiver?
AW - His size and drive to succeed set him apart from any other receiver in the country.  He had all the god given talent in the world but he also pushed himself harder than any other person on the team.  So many times after practice when people were already in the showers, Deck would be out catching extra balls.  It isn't by chance he has become such a dominant player.

 If you had the option of playing for any of the 32 teams in the NFL, where would it be and why?
AW - Tough question to answer, honestly I would be more than happy to be on any team.  If I had to pick one team, I probably would like to be in a place where I could learn from a good veteran.  Teams like the Colts or the Patriots would be a dream for a player like me.


Interview courtesy of

1 comment: