Thursday, February 10, 2011

Keanon Cooper Interview


Keanon Cooper is a linebacker for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.  Cooper will be returning in 2011 for his Junior season, hoping to help turn the program in the right direction under new coach Jerry Kill.  You can follow Keanon on Twitter here.

In high school you played safety among other positions, when did the transition to linebacker take place?
I actually only played safety spring ball of my sophomore year. I started out my junior season in the secondary, but was back to played linebacker by the start of the season. Then, was moved to defensive end by the fourth game of the season, and finished out the season there.
If you played on the offensive side of the ball, what position would you see yourself playing?
I really feel like I could play running back. I have above average speed for a running back, and I also have the size for the position. The other characteristics of a good back, such as vision, cutting, and awareness would come along with experience.
What Big 10 game do you look forward to the most every year?
I would have to go with Wisconsin. I love the buzz the game creates, and the challenge they bring with defending the Ax. It’s also one of those games that’s easy to prepared for because you know what they’re going to do, but you have to dig deep down inside to endure the pounding. It’s a game of will. Who’s going to break who’s will first?


As a highly touted recruit out of Skyline High School in Dallas, Texas, which schools were recruiting you the most, and what ultimately went into your decision for choosing Minnesota?
Texas Tech, Kansas, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma were the other schools that recruited me the hardest. The two major factors that sold me on Minnesota were the coaching staff and the environment of the campus and city. I built a strong relationship with the coaching staff, mainly Coach Brewster & Tim Cross, and I felt regardless of how my football career went they’d look out for my best interest. I liked the fact the campus was in a major metropolitan area. Most colleges are in the middle of nowhere and being from Dallas I’m use to being in a big city with a lot of people and a lot going on. Therefore, Minnesota reminded me the most of home and the city of Dallas.
For the 2011 Season, what is the one thing you are working to improve on the most?
I want to be more consistent, and improve my pass rushing skills. My speed can create issue to opposing offenses and I want to utilize that to help the team.
Is there any specific reason you wear the number 4?
No reason at all. It was the number I was given upon arriving on campus. I originally wanted to wear my high school #7, but a certain someone on our team lol had it at the time so I couldn’t wear it. There was a possibility we’d be on the field at the same time on special teams so I was given another number.
How excited are you for the 2011 season under coach Kill?
My excitement for the upcoming season grows on a weekly basis. I just love what he’s trying to do with the team, and how he’s approached helping us to become the type of players and men he want us to be.
The coolest spot in Dinkytown is?
I would have to go with Blarney’s when it comes to entertainment, and Qdoba takes the spot of best food place. I basically like in Qdoba. They should give me some of the company’s stocks as much as I’m in there. Lol
Who's the biggest prankster on the football team?
Last year it was Kyle Theret, but no one has yet to prove themselves worthy of this title.
Who's the toughest player that you have ever played against?
In high school it was Rex Burkead, who is a RB at Nebraska, and will have another opportunity to play against this upcoming year. He was on the team that ended our playoff run in high school. In college, the toughest guy would have to be Allen Bradford of USC.
When you're not on the football field, what's your favorite thing to do?
I really don’t do much. I’m not much of a party person. I really enjoy time with my teammates. I’m also on Twitter a lot. I also enjoy playing online Call of Duty and listening to music, all genres.

Interview courtesy of 

No comments:

Post a Comment