Saturday, February 5, 2011

Desmond Bishop Interview


Desmond Bishop is a linebacker for the NFC Champion Green Bay Packers.  Drafted out of Cal in the 6th round of the 2007 draft, Bishop will be playing in his first Super Bowl tomorrow.  
How does it feel knowing that you will be playing in Super Bowl XVL?
DB – It feels great. It’s really a surreal experience, I really can’t believe it. I can’t believe I’m in this situation, it’s really like a dream right now, and I’m in a dream right now.

 So has it actually settled in that you will be playing in the Super Bowl, or when do you expect that time to come?
DB – I think it will come either after kick off or after the game and I’m hosting the Lombardi trophy.

What kind of pre-game routine do you have for the Super Bowl?
DB – You know what; I’m just going to keep it normal. I’m going to have the same routine I’ve been having, I’m not going to switch it up now, just keep doing the same thing.


 With the Steelers having one of the most powerful running backs, how do you and the line backing core plan on neutralizing him?
DB – When you face a good running back like Mendenhall, the best way to neutralize them is to get as many hits on him as possible. I think any running backs will can be broken and we are going to come in with a physical game and we going to try and execute and just keep hitting him and try to get as many hats on the ball as possible.

 What do you think will be the biggest challenge that will present itself during the Super Bowl?
DB – I think Ben Roethlisberger, his ability to pro-long plays. He gives his receivers time to get down the field, and I think Ben Roethlisberger is the key.

 The Packers have a historic franchise, what does it mean to you to play for a franchise with such rich history?
DB – Ah man, it means a great deal. The tradition, the excellence that this team embodies it makes you want to be a better play, but more importantly a better person. The tradition of excellence means so much you know, on the field and off. I think it goes unmatched in the entire NFL, so that’s a blessing for me.

 Regarding Clay Mathews, what does it mean to have the presence of Clay Mathews on your defense?
DB – He raises the play for everybody on our team. Whenever you can have a great player on your team, it bleeds into everybody else. Everybody else wants to have a piece of his greatness. We go out there and give it 110% and we play harder to be on his level in some way, shape, or form. When you have a player like him it makes everybody on the whole team better and it also makes our jobs easier because he does such a great job of putting pressure on the quarterback that quarterbacks don’t have as much time to throw it so you don’t have to cover as long. We cover long enough so he can get into his second move, it works both ways. It makes everybody’s jobs easier and will raise your level of play

 What’s one thing that not many people would know about you?
DB – I constantly come up with free styles and raps, but everybody gets tired of it so either runs away or cover their ears. *laughing*

 How did your Chuck Norris like tweets originally start?
DB – My home boy packerfansince89, he started it and I retweeted a few that were funny. He just kept them going and it encouraged other people to get into the mix. We came up with a whole bunch of interesting ones. A lot of them are Chuck Norris ones but some of them are just created new and they are pretty funny.

Do you have a favorite one or do you like reading them all?
DB – I like reading them all. I like the one I apparently pee in a truck gas tank and it turned into Optimus Prime.

Interview courtesy of 

No comments:

Post a Comment